Mah-Jongg; Basic rules & strategies - DIETER KOHNEN (1998)
The "Bird of 100 intelligences" - that's what mah-jongg means in Chinese. And if you want to find out why so many millions of people have become enchanted by the game for so many thousands of years, this colorful guide is the next best thing to having a mythical creature perched on your shoulder, telling you its secrets.
It's a quick game to learn and fast-paced to play. You get:
- an introduction to the tiles and sticks, including the Circles (or dots), Characters (or cracks), Winds and Honors
- All the basic moves, explained and shown in detail
- practice games that take you step-by-step through the opening moves; the middle strategies, combinations, and sequences; and the endgame
- special tips and shortcuts on how to assemble your tiles into winning complete sets, with moves that would take years to learn by trial and error
- 24 different variations and versions with colorful names like the Twins of Heaven, the Twins of Hell, the Green Hand, the Nine Lanterns, the Dragon, and three Japanese-style games
So get your set of tiles, grab some friends, and start enjoying this very special game!
Published by Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. New York
Back to Books listing and order page.